Hello, all! This month on the Writing Prompts blog, we’re putting our two cents into the great debate. No, not the Presidential debate. The other one that has been around for as long as I can remember. Tea or coffee? Join us every Monday and Friday as we put our spin on these delectable beverages.
My beverage of choice is tea, hot, warm or cold, with milk or without. At Starbucks, I usually order an English breakfast tea latte with soy milk and a shot of vanilla. At home, hot decaf tea with honey hits the spot every time. And in the South, who doesn’t like sweet tea?
What a great day it was when I also learned that tea is healthy for me. Tea is full of flavonoids and has antimicrobial qualities. Who knew? According to WebMD:
- Green tea has a high concentration of ECGC, which help against cancer, heart disease, and clogged arteries.
- Black tea (my favorite) has the highest concentration of caffeine and may reduce the risk of stroke.
- Oolong tea has been found to reduce bad cholesterol levels.
- Pu-erh tea can help with weight loss and lower LDL cholesterol levels.
Herbal teas also have benefits.
- Chamomile tea can help reduce complications from diabetes and stunt the growth of cancer cells.
- Echinacea fights the common cold.
- Hibiscus can lower blood pressure.
- Rooibos (red tea) has cancer-fighting qualities.
Of course, you want to limit the sugar and any milk or creamers to increase the health
benefits. So whether you like a nice cup of Chamomile tea before bed or a large glass of iced sweet tea with your lunch, tea is good and good for you. So as we say in the South: Give me a sweet tea with a slice of lemon.
Complete the prompt below for an extra entry in our quarterly drawings! Submit your completed writing prompt via Comments.
Writing Prompt: Jan pushed her key into the door, unlocking it and glanced once over her shoulder. She hated opening the Java Hut so early in the morning while darkness still covered the ill-lit area. She shut the door quickly behind her and reached for the light switch. Nothing happened. Suddenly…