by Betty Thomason Owens
Hello, September! Another month nearly caught me by surprise, especially when I saw the topic for our articles. Football–College or NFL? I can hear my friends’ laughter right now, because those in the know, know I don’t like sports.
But, maybe I should clarify that remark. I can’t watch sports. Games stress me out. And heaven forbid I know someone on the team. I want to hide in a closet till it’s all over. Who won? Wait–just give me the bottom line here–I don’t want a play-by-play.
My husband is a fan, but not a fanatic. He won’t usually watch college games. His decor of choice regarding football, is yellow and black. Go Steelers! If I was a fan, we’d be at odds, because I was born in one of the most beautiful cities in the continental U.S.–Seattle! Oh, yes–we’d be mortal enemies when the season rolls around. So I keep to myself and only take part when it’s time to go to our favorite annual Superbowl party.
This month, we’ll be hearing from our usual crew members, as they share their favorites and hopefully a recipe or two. And we’ll host a couple of guests, one of whom is an absolute football fan-a-tic. Big time.
So get out your pom-poms, cheese-hats, or whatever else you like to wear or take to a ball game and get ready for some football!
Writing Prompt: April loved football, but she didn’t like the battle that ensued when…
Here’s my favorite tailgate/Superbowl recipe (Yum!):
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 packets (1 oz each) taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans
- 1 (12 oz) container sour cream
- 4 medium to large avocados
- Juice of half a lime
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 bunch fresh green onions, sliced
- 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced black olives, drained
- In a heavy skillet, combine ground beef with 1 packet of taco seasoning. Stir well and cook on medium until cooked through. Drain. Combine cooked beef with refried beans and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream and 1 packet of taco seasoning mix. Set aside.
- In a bowl, place peeled and seeded avocados and mash well. Add lime juice, chopped cilantro, chopped red onion, kosher salt, garlic powder, and fresh black pepper. Set aside
- In a 9×13 or similar size serving dish, evenly spread the beef/bean mixture on bottom. Continue layering in the following order: sour cream mixture, guacamole, diced tomatoes, and shredded cheese. Top evenly with a layer of green onions and sliced olives. Wrap tightly, keep chilled, and serve with hearty corn chips.
Source: Chew Out Loud