I was just telling someone the other day that August is almost here. Call me “King of the Obvious.”
For many of you, August is a summer month. For those of us in the field of education, August means back-to-school.
So far I have had a lot of summer fun, and there’s still more to come for a couple of weeks or so. I decided to create a “Summer Fun Top Ten List,” mostly because I couldn’t think of any other way to organize my thoughts (Keepin’ it real!):
1. No matter what, no matter where, go for the ice cream.
2. Never pass up a chance to do something fun with loved ones, whether it be enjoying a picnic, playing a game of putt-putt golf, or sharing ice cream.
3. Always pack extra clothes for summer trips. Ice cream drips and gets messy sometimes.
4. The summer heat is very hot. This seems to be a bigger issue now that I am older. Cooling off with ice cream helps.
5. Reading, in the comfort of air conditioning, is a nice summer thing.
6. Watching a new season of The Great British Baking Show, in the comfort of air conditioning, is also a nice summer thing.
7. Eating ice cream, while watching a new season of The Great British Baking Show, in the comfort of air conditioning, is a most awesome summer thing.
8. Long walks in the evening, when the heat isn’t so hot, are wonderful. Even better if they’re on a beach somewhere.
9. If your job or life situation allows, sleeping in during summer days is refreshing. If only my internal alarm wasn’t so early!
And the final summer fun thing is . . .
10. Ice cream is a cool meal alternative when the summer heat makes it too hot to cook. Unless you’re a contestant on The Great British Baking Show, in which you would be burning up anyway in that tent.
NOTE: If you’re not a fan of ice cream (????) or cannot have it, substitute your favorite treat in the items above. Popsicles, slushies, sno cones, smoothies, etc.
WRITING PROMPT: Imagine you have a free summer day with no responsibilities. What would you do? Where would you go? What would you eat?